The Children’s Eye Foundation (CEF) and the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus (AAPOS) are proud to announce the renewal of the CEF Research Grant.
Funding research was a hallmark priority identified by the original founders of CEF in 1970, reflected in the founding mission: “to optimize the quality of life of infants, children, and families fostering normal development and protection of vision through promoting programs of prevention, detection, treatment, research and education.” The first CEF Research grant was awarded in 1975, and since then CEF has funded over $350,000 of research related to children’s eyesight. Today, we are very pleased to announce that we are now accepting applications for the CEF Research Grant.
“We are very excited to renew the CEF Research Grant. The opportunity to invest in an AAPOS member’s research will add to the scientific groundwork that changes lives. No breakthrough, no discovery, no progress would be possible without the dedicated research of individuals and organizations. In every “SeeMore Smile” (the smiles of children on our blog posts and website), we see the impact of research that has led to treatment advances and other solutions that mean more children get to see their best – advancements that save sight and change thousands of lives every year; advancements that may not have happened without AAPOS-member research.” -M. Edward Wilson, MD, CEF Chair
The application deadline is November 1, 2017.
Interested applicants can download the application form and instructions here.
Any type of research addressing a problem or unmet need in pediatric ophthalmology or strabismus can qualify, including clinical, translational, basic, public health, community-based, health-care delivery, or quality improvement research.
Applicants must be full AAPOS members who have not had prior independent research funding (with the exception of a Heed Fellowship). New (but not necessarily young) investigators and ophthalmologists in both academic and private practice settings are encouraged to apply!
Grant Award Details:
- Funding of up to $5,000 will be awarded; the actual amount will depend upon the budget justification
- Funds will be awarded at the start of the project to support one year of research
- 6-month progress report and one-year final report due, with an option to extend the project one year without additional funding
- The AAPOS Research Committee will be a resource for study planning and decision making at any stage of the project
- Poster featured at AAPOS meeting the year following completion of the project
- AAPOS meeting registration cost covered the year that work is presented
Apply soon! The application deadline is November 1, 2017